Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Mystery guns pt. 2

*
An update on my earlier question re. the gun shown above. My thanks to Snickering Corpses for this information.
*
"The gun is a Krupp 150mm K16/L40 from probably 1902. There's another one of the same type in Dayton, VA according to the fellow I spoke to. But apparently the rarest item in your photo is actually the 4-wheel unit behind that right-hand gun. It's a barrel carrier, in which the barrel of the gun was put on the carrier and the cannon moved in two separate parts before being re-assembled in position. According to the man I talked to, that barrel carrier is believed to be the only one of its kind still in existence in the US, and possibly worldwide."
*
So it's a rare sighting we made that day. I'd love to know the story behind this grouping of World War One ordinance. Maybe one day I'll be able to stop off at that legion post and ask.
*
Incidentally, I see that visits to this blog now number over 1,000! Not bad for a few weeks' of posts. My thanks to all who visit, and I hope you find something of interest here.

2 comments:

Snickering Corpses said...

I'm still expecting to receive an email sometime with some further info on the guns and their history. Will let you know if it turns up.

ColCampbell50 said...

To determine the provenance of the equipment, you might want to check with the annual reports of your state adjutant general/military department for the years after WW1. Our state AG (Miss.) received a number of WW1 trophy weapons and they are all listed in one of the annual reports. We have two German 105mm howitzers sitting on the grounds of our state capitol.

Jim

 

home page uniques